Cancelled – Durham City Regatta

We have unfortunately made the very difficult decision to cancel Durham City Regatta today. This is probably the closest call we have ever had to make and had the rainfall last night been 12 hours earlier or 12 hours later we would most likely have been OK, it just appears to be very bad luck.

The water has peaked upstream but has risen over half a metre in the last hour as we have stood and watched it.

As a race committee our primary aims are to provide fair and above all safe competition but with the height and flow of the water combined with small debris we are unable to convince ourselves that this can be achieved.

Janousek & Stampfli are in Durham to provide their race day service and will be here regardless of the event being cancelled. If you have one of your boats which needs a minor repair or spare parts, or indeed just looking over then please do come and make use of this service.

At this moment we expect Sundays scratch regatta to go ahead and will provide more information on this later in the morning.

Once again apologies for not being able to control the weather in Durham!