This squad consists of oarsmen with racing experience, and a desire to improve their technique skill, fitness and boat speed. The main training times are weekday evenings at 6pm and Saturday and Sunday mornings.
This is a racing squad so we are looking for a training ability and commitment and a standard in both skills and technique
STANDARDS Before entry required ability to
- stop a boat (hold her hard)
- scull, ideally in a 1x,
- sweep, ideally both sides
- train at least 4 times a week at squad times . Though for serious racing you will need to train 6 times a week.
- use British Rowing Technique
- train using an ergo
after entry be able to
- Stop a boat effectively, by dropping the wrists using slap- bury- turn
- Single scull
- Row both sides
- Develop water based skills
- Develop good British Rowing Technique
- Use weights for training
- Circuit train
- Use land based ‘warm up’ and ‘cool down ‘routines.
- Use core/trunk and stretching routines regularly
- Do 2k tests and other time/distance skill tests, as required
- Pass the club competency test, if not already done.
- Keep a training diary
The squad objectives for the 2014/15 season were agreed by the members.
Update October 23rd 2014
Enquiries to Men’s Vice-Captain Stephen Kay at firstname.lastname@example.org.